Christian Friedl, PhD (FH Joanneum Graz, Austria)
Agnieszka Żur, PhD (Cracow School of Business, Poland)
Call for Papers
The EMOOCs Conference is firmly established as the premier MOOC community conference in Europe and annually brings together all parties interested in debate, current research and testimonies of practice in a wide variety of MOOC related topics.
MOOCs for business has prospered and grown considerably during the past decade in all European countries. Remarkable development has taken place in the variety of offers available on MOOC platforms, triggered by the exchange of ideas, frameworks and methods among the business and MOOC developers’ community. This growth has stimulated productive dialogue and academic research agendas.
Business today, along with the whole society, faces an unprecedented challenge to transform as a whole.
- The survival of our planet is threatened by unsustainable business practices and “business as usual”. The last few years have brought additional new business challenges.
- Remote work and virtual teams require upskilling and/or completely new skills from managers all around the world.
- Resilience and adaptiveness move into the forefront of firms’ agendas, while technologies are disrupting long-standing business models.
- A new generation of employees represents a new mindset, new expectations and needs.
- Employee retention and talent acquisition have become one of the biggest problems for many firms.
There are reasons to believe that MOOCs and micro credentials bear potential to take a relevant role in this urgently required business transformation. Following a decade of steady growth, more than 200 million learners chose among almost 20,000 courses and +1,500 micro credentials building on MOOCs in 2021 (Shah, 2021). With this unprecedented reach, MOOCs are expected to deliver on the aforementioned challenges facing business by providing new knowledge, guidance, training & education and dissemination of best practice.
Join the conversation!
We welcome practitioners and researchers from academia and business to submit research papers, lightening talks, case studies, and/or panel discussion proposals.
Submission topics include but are not limited to:
- Ways in which MOOCs support and/or activate and/or accelerate business transformation towards sustainability
- MOOCs as support for the unemployed and/or burnt-out/bored-out employees in rediscovery of sensemaking and, subsequently, finding purpose again?
- Personal and professional development of various generations of employees through MOOCs
- Role of MOOCs in building virtual trust and cooperation among teams
- Promotion and cultivation of intercultural exchange and intercultural competences
- Role of MOOCs in corporate retention strategies
- MOOCs as a booster for a learning corporate culture
- Business models and new trends in MOOCs for the business world
- Risks, malpractice, and pitfalls of MOOCs in business
- Case studies of MOOCs for business
- The potential of MOOCs for supporting organizations in developing sustainability strategies answering to the UN SDGs and ESG
- The role of MOOC-based micro-credentials in business training
- Taking one ”O” out of MOOCs and MOOCs commercialization
Submission of Papers (due March 15, 2023)
This is a one-step process, via direct submission of the abstract and full paper.
Please submit lightning talks and panel discussion proposals as lightweight papers (template below).
Research papers, market research results, conceptual papers, case studies and demonstrations of best practice can be submitted in any of the three formats below.
- Lightweight submission: up to 3 pages (presenting just projects and results), will not be published in the conference proceedings
- Short Paper: up to 4 pages including references
- Full paper: up to 10 pages including references
There will be official conference proceedings for this track and submissions will be handled through EasyChair.
Important note: If you submit a lightweight submission, please submit it as a short paper in EasyChair (there is no extra upload function for lightweight submissions in EasyChair), but write a short note just at the beginning of the paper that it is a lightweight submission. This way you make sure that it is reviewed as a lightweight submission.
The use of the supplied template is mandatory for your paper to be published in the proceedings:
Please remember to indicate the relevant track when you submit your paper.